Firearms Application Guidelines
Application for Firearms Purchase Identification card (FID)
Application to purchase handgun
Applications are only accepted in person and with valid government issued photo
The following is required to obtain a Firearms Purchase ID or handgun purchase application:
- Completed application for Firearms Purchaser ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit
(if applicable) by appointment only on Wednesdays.
- $5.00 cash or money order for Firearms ID Card (FID)
- $2.00 cash or money order for each permit to purchase handgun
- Money Order for $60.25 made payable to: DIVISION OF STATE POLICE - SBI. No cash
will be accepted! (For first time applicants only. )
- Completed Mental Consent form signed by a witness (North Bergen Department police
personnel or Notary Public acceptable).
- No relatives may be used as references on any of these applications.
- A Firearms ID card is good for the life of the holder unless it is revoked, or if
there is a change of residency. If you have changed residency you are required to
fill out a Change of Residency Application.
- Handgun permits are valid for 90 days, including the date of issue.
Prior Gun Owners
Upon request, additional handgun permits may be issued within six months of the
application only after local and state review. Additional permits will require an
$18.00 money order made payable to: DIVISION OF STATE POLICE - SBI. No cash will
Applicants requesting additional permits after two (2) years are required to repeat
the entire application process.
A New Jersey State Police name check will be conducted for each permit application
submitted. Additional permits will require an $18.00 money order made payable to:
DIVISION OF STATE POLICE - SBI. No cash will be accepted.
Applicant must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for an FID card. Applicants
under 21 years of age must bring a valid birth certificate. Non United States citizens
must bring a valid Green card, passport, or naturalization papers.
If you wish to transfer ownership of a rifle, shotgun, or BB rifle, you will need
to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility.