NBPD Contact Info
Dial 911 for Emergencies
Other Calls (201)392-2100
Email: info@northbergenpd.com
Address: 4233 Kennedy Blvd
North Bergen, New Jersey 07047
Firearms Application
Instructions & Forms Required

Firearms Application Guidelines

Applications are only accepted in person and with valid government issued photo identification.

New Applicants

Click on link above for complete packet of instructions, required documents & forms needed to apply. Complete forms, print packet and return when applying.

Following is a list of some requirements to obtain a Firearms Purchase ID or handgun purchase permit:

  1. Completed, type-written application for Firearms Purchaser ID Card and /or Pistol Purchase Permit.
  2. $5.00 cash for Firearms ID Card (FID)
  3. $2.00 cash for each permit to purchase handgun
  4. First time applicants only will be required to be fingerprinted at IdentoGO (a fee will be paid directly to IdentoGo).
  5. Completed Mental Consent form.


  • No relatives may be used as references on any of these applications.
  • A Firearms ID card is good for the life of the holder unless it is revoked, or if there is a change of residency. If you have changed residency you are required to fill out a Change of Residency Application.
  • Handgun permits are valid for 90 days, from the date of issue.

Repeat Applicants

  1. Click on link above for complete list of instructions.
  2. Additional handgun permits may be requested by filling out an application for Firearms Purchaser ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit application.
  3. Additional permits will require a criminal background check, via THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE - SBI online portal. A complete list of instructions can be found by clicking on the link above.

Additional Notes

Applicant must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for an FID card and 21 years of age to apply for a pistol purchase permit. Applicants under 21 years of age must bring a valid birth certificate. Non United States citizens must bring a valid Green card, passport, or naturalization papers.

If you wish to transfer ownership of a rifle, shotgun, or BB rifle, you will need to fill out a STATE OF NEW JERSEY VOLUNTARY FORM OF FIREARMS REGISTRATION, N.J.S.P. form, S.P. 650 (Rev. 01/08) and submit one copy to Superintendent of State Police - Data Reduction Unit, P.O. Box 7068, West Trenton, N.J. 08628-0068 and one copy to Chief of Police in the Municipality where you reside.